Thursday, January 05, 2006

2005 - a year in Review (Movies)

I was looking over the list of movies that I saw in 2005. When considering the list of movies that I saw, just in theaters, you can tell Mr. Handsome Honey selects most of the movies that we see in the theater. Here is the list of movies I saw in the theater last year:

  • The Aviator - I did take veto power when selecting this movie. It was pretty good and definitely a big screen experience kind of movie.
  • The Ring Two - I can't believe we saw this in the theater. Totally superfluous. The original was interesting, but I was satisfied with the ending. This was just ridiculous.
  • Sahara - They compared this to Indiana Jones - anyone who thought you could make such a comparison was smokin' crack. Not a bad movie, but certainly not Indy. I can't believe HH wanted to see this in the theater, with no captions. He swears he can not understand a thing that Penelope Cruz says, ever.
  • I, Robot - No, I've got no excuse.
  • Elektra - ditto - We hated Daredevil, but I used to love Alias. In the first couple of seasons, Jennifer Garner actually acted and was good, but she's so wooden now and Elektra was so bad.
  • Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - I've seen them all in the theater. Starting with the original, which I saw at a drive-in theater in Minnesota. I went in my jammies, making it easier for my parents to put me to bed after I fell asleep in the car. (My mom still refers to him as "Dark Invader" and she called the whole father/son thing from the beginning). I gotta say, I'm glad this series is over. The backstory couldn't compare to episodes IV and V
  • War of the Worlds - Once again Tom Cruise plays that one guy that he always plays, you know, the jerk who redeems himself in the end - *yawn*. This was good up until the end, but the ending was so lame. It built up to a crescendo and then, "alrighty, it's over, everything worked out just fine, take our word for it. See, look there they are now, safe and sound. Go on home."
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I saw this on the beach in Wildwood, New Jersey this summer. I enjoyed it. Yes, admittedly, Johnny Depp was creepy and I certainly didn't get any of the usual lustful feelings for him in this role. If you've read the books, then you know that Tim Burton was faithful to the text. The movie we all know and love was a departure from the Roald Dahl classics.
  • Must Love Dogs - Saw this with the women in my family. We did a girls' night at the movies as part of the neverending birthday celebration I wound up throwing for my mom. I do love me some John Cusack. It was okay, not great. It was not a bad way to spend an evening.
  • Batman Begins - I handled this a little better than many of its contemporaries. I'm not a fan of the comic book movie, mostly because directors think it's art if they make it just like the comic book. When you expand into a movie, you aren't confined to lame one-liners and two dimensional characters. Look at what Sam Raimi did with the Spiderman movies. Peter Parker comes off complex and sweet and tortured and lovable, that's how it should be done.
  • Fantastic Four - Here we go again. It was alright. Since my last theater movie before this one was Batman, I guess I didn't have much in the way of expectations, so I got to just sit back and go with the flow.
  • Serenity - I actually was the one who requested to see this one. I also wanted to see Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in the theater, but that didn't happen. I'm a huge Buffy and Angel fan and I watched all of the Firefly series on dvd. HH even bought Serenity for me for Christmas. I'll watch it, but I might have to turn it off before the end. I'm still a little mad at Joss Whedon for some of his victims.
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - I read all the books and I've seen all the movies. HH doesn't even complain that he has to take me to see these. In fact, he's taken me to all but the first one (I saw that one a couple of months before we met).
  • King Kong - Definitely a big screen movie. I felt really bad for poor Kong. I think someone owed him an apology. I get that no one spoke to him. If you are thinking that Naomi Watts talked to him, she really didn't. She told him "no" when he was treating her like a rag doll and she'd had enough, but she never talked to him. I know that he wouldn't understand if they did speak to him, but someone, in fact, quite a few someones needed to say they were sorry to him. I would understand it and they would know they were doing it. The ape deserved an apology.
  • Pride and Prejudice - Oh, HH didn't even go with me to see this one. Occasionally, I can suggest that maybe something might blow up in a movie, but he would've never believed me if I tried it with this one. Actually, he never believes me when I try that anyway, but I don't know what else will draw him to the theater. He likes those explosions and stuff that you see in action movies on the big screen. The only good thing about him spending the week after Christmas in Minnesota with his family, is that my mom and I go and see something he would never agree to see in the theater.

So, those are the flicks I saw in the theater in 2005. I am going to have to show HH this list. I am way behind in getting to pick what we see.

2 comments:

Judy Krueger said...

Hi piksea, Just thought I would return the favor on movie favorites. We do not have TV in our house but we do have a Netflix membership, so I saw 107 movies this year, in the theatre and DVDs combined. Also I watched a bunch of 1940s flicks, mainly the award winners and a couple others because I had read the books.

In the theatre favorites:
Finding Neverland
Million Dollar Baby
War of the Worlds
The Four Brothers (I used to live in Ann Arbor, MI; near Detroit.)
Syriana

DVD favorites:
I, Robot (I just read the book and they are nothing alike.)
Spider Man 2
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Love Song for Bobby Long
The Aviator
Spanglish
Absolute Power (read the book, the movie was even better)
Iris (based on Iris Murdoch and the memoir written by her husband, John Bayley)
Crash
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

JoanneMarie Faust said...

I actually got Mr. Handsome Honey to take me to see Finding Neverland. We enjoyed it immensely. I thought that would get me some pull with other non-explosion containing feature films, but, alas, didn't happen.

Syriana is on my list. It's gotten amazing reviews from everyone.