Monday, August 20, 2012

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

I just finished reading this book the other day.  I've been slowly but surely working my way through the essays and it's been a lovely experience. Of course, I'm pretty sure the best essay in the book is the note inside the cover from MC France E's brother MOD.  He got me as his Pollyanna last Christmas and this was one of the gifts. According to MOD he gives the book to the people who are really special to him and the fact that I rescued his big brother MC France E from the boyfriend pound, I definitely made it into that group.

Robert Fulghum is quite an interesting character in his own right. He is/was a minister. Has a master's degree in theology, but he isn't remotely preachy. In fact, I was pleased and astonished as he was so totally cool with any possible belief.  In one essay he explains how his mother was a born again Baptist Christian and his father could be very antagonistic toward her beliefs.  An open minded person is always welcome in my world and Mr. Fulghum more than fits that bill.

There is something uplifting in taking a few moments out of your day and reclaiming a belief in the innate goodness of most people.  We get force fed so much of the ugliness, why shouldn't we make a point of seeing the best in ourselves and each other?

I think this book will stay on my nightstand for a while. There are plenty of nights when a little dose of kindergarten is just what I need after a frustrating day out in the world.

No comments: