Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Let's Pretend This Never Happened

I just finished listening to this audiobook, read by the author, Jenny Lawson.  The Bloggess, Jenny Lawson is equal parts, hysterical, honest, horrifying and possibly hallucinating. She's completely demented, but in the best possible way.  I think I laughed so hard listening to this as I drove back and forth to work, that I actually drooled, and absolutely got some very strange looks from my fellow commuters. The fact is, that this book probably saved their lives, since very few of them can drive with any kind of competency or consideration for their fellow man.

There was a lady just yesterday, who crossed four lanes of traffic to drive really really slowly in front of me, when there was plenty of room for her to do that behind me. Then, after I move over to the right lane, to ready for the turn toward my office, she decides she wants to be in my lane, too.  But, instead of moving when she has an opportunity, she stops on a busy highway, in the middle lane.  Just stops. Then when the guy behind me has to slam on his brakes because she's coming no matter what, she moves into the spot behind my car, begins honking her horn, screaming at the top of her lungs, shaking her hands at me and giving me the double "one finger salute" like the crazy lunatic that she is.  Jenny Lawson saved that lady's life, I tell you.  I wanted to slam on my brakes, then pull her out of her car and give her a piece of my mind, because, clearly she needed one.

But, I digress.  Ms. Lawson tells the story of her poor and humble beginnings, the love story she shares with her husband Victor, their daughter Hailey and her trials with illness (physical and mental), and she does it with humor and pathos.  I'm not sure if she was just kidding about her second book, but if not, she can add me to the waiting list right now.

No comments: