Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Battles Royale

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!  It's enough to make a book loving girl's head explode.  I've been following The Morning News' Tournament of Books for years.  I've never gotten all of the books read in time for the contest, but I, eventually, put a nice dent into the selections.  This year, I'm far more ahead of the game than I've been in the past.  You can find the long list and the final list HERE.  You can get yourself a copy of this year's pretty new circular brackets HERE.  The contest begins with a fight for the last spot on March 4.  The contestants are The Yellow Birds, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk,  and Fobbit.  I read Fobbit last month and finished The Yellow Birds last night.  All are war books and the two I read were both very good, although very different ways of talking about the same place and time. It will be a tough call for the judge.

Now, I've just found out from Leila at Bookshelves of Doom that the School Library Journal's website has brackets up for a children's book tournament.  Here's the link to their website and the information.  I am positively giddy with the abundance of bookish March Madness afoot.  Seriously, you could only describe me as giddy. I'm wriggling around in my seat like a little kid, I'm so excited.  As I read over the list, I found that I've read quite a few of the books on it and, particularly Wonder, The One and Only Ivan and The Fault in our Stars, are going to be hard to beat.  The battle begins on March 12, and I, for one, plan to be ready.

Are you all ready to join in the madness and mayhem of two all out book wars?  I say bring on our first contestants!

No comments: