Friday, March 08, 2013

Book News Today


  • PWxyz, the Publisher's Weekly blog has a poll up to determine The Great American Novel.  The choices range from The Scarlet Letter from 1851 to the brilliant The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao from 2007.  I have read almost half of the choices (29/60) and I can tell you that I don't think I can vote on this. The choices are so far reaching, most of the books are incomparable.  But, that's just me.  Go on over and find out for yourself.  
  • The good people over at Flavorpill seem excited by the poll, but are concerned over the lack of more recent choices.  They give a list of an additional 10 books to consider. I've only read four of their picks and as far as I'm concerned, they've just muddied the waters.  Well, I waded through Tree of Smoke, but I certainly can't put it in the Great American Novel Category.  A Visit from the Goon Squad and Let The Great World Spin are both very good choices.  In fact, Let the Great World Spin is amazing.  
  • The next book in John Sandford's Prey  series, Silken Prey will be out on May 7.  Follow the link to pre-order your copy from B&N.  The protagonist in this series, Lucas Davenport was my mother's fictional boyfriend.  Sandford's books are page turners. 
  • I'm a big fan of the Unshelved web comic.  It takes place in a local library and you don't have to be a librarian to get it.  The best part of subscribing to the Unshelved email is their Friday editions of the Unshelved Book Club.  Here's the March 8, 2013 full listing with commentary by the readers. 
  • Today, on the second official day at The Tournament of Books, the delightful Where'd You Go, Bernadette? is already out of the running.  So sad. All I can say is, that Orphan Master's Son must be a really good book!  I know I'll be requesting it from my library, pronto.
  • Back over at Flavorpill is this article about the glowing book sculptures of Airan Kang.  And, all I can say when I look at them is, "I want glowy books!!"

No comments: