Thursday, April 25, 2013

3 Books from August 2003

Another Thursday, another dip into the archives of Fausti's Book Quest early posts and reads.  Here are my original reviews/recaps/synopses (depending on how in depth I got when I wrote them) from the very beginnings of my blog days.  In going through these old posts, I realize they must be what I wrote in an effort to recapture the essence of the books I read, but were fast receding from my memory.  Later posts had some real gems, if I may say so myself.  These early posts were more like my notes to remember I'd read a book, when I was in danger of forgetting.

So, without further ado, more of my early days as a blogger.  My editorial comments, if any will appear in italics.

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
Read:  August 2003

I read the book through and I found it very frustrating. It was very reminiscent of The Nanny Diaries (Ed note:  For the record, I hated The Nanny Diaries)It's very possible that it is just me, but I can't enjoy a book I find that frustrating (Ed Note:  However, I was blissfully frustrated by Where'd You Go, Bernadette? So, who can say if I have any idea what I was talking about then) Our protagonist gets a job for a major fashion magazine and is working directly under THE number one woman in fashion. However, the job isn't quite as she's imagined.  She is somehow on call at all hours, expected to do all of this woman's bidding. The job morphs into this all encompassing, life and self-respect sucking monster, much like the boss.  Somehow, this is the entry level job and is so sought after, that our poor heroine just keeps sucking it up in the hopes of parlaying the experience into a free ticket to anywhere in the fashion world.  I did like it better than The Nanny Diaries because her work wasn't all for nothing. I guess I had trouble relating. I don't think I could have lasted a month in that job, let alone a year.


A Cold Heart by Jonathan Kellerman
Read:  August 2003

An Alex Delaware novel, where Dr. Delaware and Detective Milo Sturgis save the day. I'm liking Dr. Delaware less and less these days. But, that really isn't saying much as I am completely up to date on all of Mr. Kellerman's books. If I don't like him better in his next one, he is going the way of Mary Higgins Clark for me.  Total ancient history.








To The Nines by Janet Evanovich
Read:  July 2003

What can I say?  These books are my weakness. I so love the Stephanie Plum character that I can't wait for the next book. As soon as I turn the last page, I fight off the urge to start over immediately from the beginning.  I love the characters and the humor. I would move into these books if I could.  Sad to say my favorite fantasy land is a working class neighborhood in Trenton, New Jersey.  (Ed. Note:  Ha!)



No comments: