Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Banned and Challenged Book Nonsense

Another day another report on censorship. When will it end?  I got started blogging around the time I started delving into the ALA's list of the most frequently banned and challenged books.  Strangely, I was unable to find the list no matter what I clicked on the ALA website. Which I must admit to being more than a little annoyed by.  Lucky for us, the fine folks over at Wikipedia have the list here.  

Yesterday, my daily email from Flavorpill included this article on the Most Ridiculous Claims Used to Challenge Classic Novels.  Often there is a lot of hyperbole in these article titles, but this one is right on the money.  I recommend following along when a book gets challenged.  Not in the sense that I think you should join the ignorant masses and recommend the banning of books. I mean follow the paper trail of articles.  None of these people who scream from the rafters that the books are the obvious work of the devil and are just filled with smut have too much pride to tell you that they jumped on that soapbox, gathered their local fire and pitchfork wielding mob and caused all this ruckus over a book they've never so much as cracked the spine of.  It's true. I can't tell you how many times I've run across this same story.  I think there should be a National Read a Good (but maligned) Book to an Ignoramus Day.  Ooooh, I like that. Anyone know who I need to contact to get this idea in play?

In other banned and challengedness (yup, made that one up all by myself) I spotted this article about the top ten books on the 2012 Banned and Challenged List over at Bookshelves of Doom.  I love that blog!  

Now, go forth and read a banned book!  All the cool kids are doing it... It'll make you feel good!



No comments: