Monday, June 03, 2013

A few book links

I just love emails filled with book articles.  Today, I found a variety of interesting things, and discovered that I have a huge backlog of book links that have just been languishing in my internet bookmarks folder. So, in an effort to clean up and get the stories out there, here we go with today's offerings (even if some were from many yesterdays ago).

  • The longlist for the 2013 Guardian Children's Fiction Prize is up.  You can read the entire article here.  I've read two of the books and they were both wonderful. I'm definitely going to have to read the rest. I've got my fingers crossed for John Green. Not that he needs my good thoughts and wishes, The Fault in our Stars was absolutely one of the best books I've read.  
  • Flavorwire posted 10 Hilarious Videos About Grammar. I haven't had time to watch them all, but can't wait!  Someone has to find a way to sneak in a little grammar education!
  • Also over at Flavorwire, a list of 10 New Must-Reads for June and I am so excited about  most of these books.   I'm especially psyched for Colum McCann's new book Transatlantic.  Judy at Keep the Wisdom has her review up today.
  • Buzzfeed is reporting on the website What Should I Read Next? and as they warn, I may just have to make it my home page.  Because, what could I possibly need more than more book recommendations.
  • Time Magazine has an article discussing whether reading makes us better people.  I say yes, but I'm totally biased.
  • This is an oldie, back from the first of April at Flavorwire.  They posit this list of books as required reading for Mad Men's Don Draper.  I have to admit I chuckled over the selection.
  • Bookriot is asking which is the best Doctor Who library?  I love a good library chat.
  • They've also got the 10 best and worst YA titles.  I think they should have stuck with the best.
  • I'll finish up with the list that started it all.  Actually, this is the Harvard Bookstore's current version of the list. I've only read about half.  I'll have to compare this with the version I started with all those many years ago.  

2 comments:

The HoneyNerds said...

Very interesting collection of links! I admit I clicked on the Doctor Who library immediately (I pick the TARDIS library, cause I want to travel in the TARDIS!) I really enjoyed perusing this post! :)

JoanneMarie Faust said...

Thanks, Charlene. I'd totally volunteer to run off with The Doctor, too.