Monday, August 19, 2013

Internet Literary Links: The Erudite side of The World's Biggest Time Suck

As you all already know, like most people I get caught up on weblinks. I get regular emails from many of my favorite places to waste time here on the internet.  Despite what my browser history may reveal, I'm primarily interested in book stuff.  Here are a few of the links I've been perusing lately.

  • While I only watched one episode of ABC's Mistresses on On-Demand, I still clicked through to check out this article comparing the series' stars to literary mistresses.  I know little enough about the show that I can't possibly tell you if this is accurate or not. I do know that I'm very intrigued to see comparisons to Madame Bovary and The Handmaid's Tale.  I may give the show a second look.
  • I am also a huge sucker for literary references in music.  Check out this article from Poetry Genius on literary references in rap.  Really smart and interesting stuff there.
  • Rita Meade at Book Riot shares some of the most memorable entries into a look at a world without libraries. Students were asked to describe the future of the library and she posts a selection that stayed with her.  As far as I'm concerned, that's a scenario that renders me speechless.
  • Over at Flavorwire, Alison Nastasi publishes 19th Century Illustrations for Dante's Inferno. As for the book, I own it in multiple forms, but have yet to actually read it. I know, shame on me. As for the drawings they are both amazing and horrifying.  I'm hoping I've got enough good karma to keep me out of any of those circles.
  • I'm so in love with the new Buzz Feed books. The articles don't even have to be that great for me to be all swooning and sighing as I scroll through the pics and GIFs.  Here's one on 17 Problems Only Book Lovers Will Understand. The comments are filled with buzzfeed readers who are book lovers which really made the article. This is way better and more accurate than the Left-handers' problems post, which, as a lefty, I found just silly.
  • Summer's almost over.  I know.  I'm really sorry about it, too.  Buzz Feed Books published a post on the 17 Books That Should Be on Your Summer Reading List. If you haven't gotten to them yet, you are running short on time. I've only read 4, and I guess I should take that as a wake up call.
  • And, if I wasn't feeling bad enough about it, here is a list of 15 Acclaimed Summer Books, Judged by their Covers.  I've only read one. True, it was Neil Gaiman's wonderful The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but that's not nearly enough to keep much of my lit cred, is it? 
  • This article from NPR's website is worth your perusal.  According to Elizabeth Blair and her research,  children's books are staying way whiter than the kids who are reading them.  It's funny that this should be, considering that  a lot of my recent favorite children's book selections have been about children of color.  Between the animal books which allow children of any ethnicity to learn about and experience universal life/childhood issues and some of the wonderful authors out there creating rich and diverse books that focus on the non-white experience, I can't imagine why publishers would have difficulty putting out more diverse offerings for the changing face of the American child.
  • Because I'm pretty sure that I posted the Huff Post article like this one and I find the content interesting, I'm providing the link to Flavorwire's list of 10 of Literature's Most Unreliable Narrators.  Now, I'm going to be thinking about the reliability and the unreliability of the narrator in every book I read, and that might not be a bad thing.
Okay, I think I'll stop here and give you a chance to digest all of this.  I'll be back soon. Until then, happy reading ... and clicking.

No comments: