Thursday, September 12, 2013

Baby, You're as Sweet as 3.141...

Baby, You're as Sweet as 3.14159265: 101 Funny Love Advice Answers, 20 Sexy Stories and Lots of Jokes by HogWild

The author sent me an email through goodreads with a link to his book, his website, and his YouTube channel.  I read the book right away and intended to do a prompt review of it.  But, it was not going to be remotely favorable and so, I thought I should check out his You Tube videos and see if he was better "in person".  I've done that and now I can no longer avoid posting the requested, but not positive review.  Once again, I have to feel like a big meanie posting a negative and snarky review of someone's hard work. But, here goes.

Baby... reads like a stand up comedy routine, and not a funny one.  I actually heard the cricket sounds in my head after each joke.  I imagined that if this was a performance and not text, there would be lots of tapping on microphones and "is this thing on?"s going on.  The jokes, such as they were, were just awful.  Not funny at all.  You know how there are those jokes that are bad, but you can't help but laugh at them anyway?  Yeah, there weren't even any of those here.

Strangely, there was some actual good advice hidden here.  It was the only thing that kept me reading.  Somewhere, in spite of all those awful bits, all those ridiculously stupid euphemisms for sex and reproductive parts, there was actually some decent love advice.  I just don't think that anyone who needs it, should have to look that hard and endure that many painfully bad jokes to get it.

But, text isn't always the best way to understand tone. So, I checked out a few of his you tube videos to see if, maybe, when he was delivering his jokes, they came off funnier than they do on the page. They don't.  He's got places to click and subscribe to his channel and he offers life coaching services. I'm thinking he's looking to turn this all into a money making career, a profession.  But, the videos I checked all had him sitting in a LazyBoy in an otherwise empty looking room, slouching, wearing a baseball cap.  

I don't think he's got a career as a comedian, or as an author. At least not if this is the way he insists on writing.  I do think that if he used his drive and plucked out the good advice from the nonsense and acted professionally. I don't mean suit and tie, professional, but I think he could pull off a casual, laid back, but knowledgeable air and really have something.

As for the book, the best I can say about it, is at least no trees died in the making of it.


Here he is.  Check him out for yourselves.

No comments: