Monday, September 16, 2013

Coded G6

Coded G6  by Hillary Layelle

The author contacted me through goodreads and asked me to review her book.  It's on smashwords and available at the nook book store.  It's not a very long book, but I found it taking me very long to make my way through.  Of course, this is another case of me having to be the big meanie.

In the first paragraph, Claire is unhappy with the colleges who've accepted her. In the second, she sees a polar bear figurine on her father's shelf and applies to school in Alaska.  In the third, her parents agree to let her go. In the fourth, she's ready to begin her sophomore year of college.  At that point I knew we were off to a bad start.  

There was very little to this book. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be NA, coming of age, college romance, or what the heck is supposed to be going on.  There are the beginnings of stories, but then they just get dropped.  After nothing but starts and stops, in the last third or quarter of the book Layelle starts telling an entirely different story, nothing about it is the same as the rest of the book, except the characters.  

I don't know if it would have been better with more exposition. Maybe if she started to tell the story she intended to tell. If she was building to something, she should have started to build it.  

There may be a book in here, but it was clearly in need of a proofreader and an editor. This is a start, but it isn't a book and it isn't the start of a series, it's barely the start of a serial.

No comments: