Monday, September 30, 2013

Graveminder

Graveminder  by Melissa Marr

I bought the nook version of this book because I really enjoyed Marr's  Wicked Lovely  series and was interested in seeing what she'd come up with for her first adult novel.  I have to say that I wasn't overwhelmed by this book at all.

Rebekkah Barrow, despite the unmistakable pull that wants to drag her back to Claysville, has forged a life for herself on the other side of the country.  That is, until she hears that her grandmother has died.  Then, she knows that she has to return.  That means, confronting the man she loved, but left behind and the rest of the inhabitants of small, closed off Claysville.  

Bek returns to find that not only was her grandmother's death a very violent murder, but that she has been tapped to take her place as the Graveminder.   Because, Claysville is really really unlike other towns.  It seems there was a charter made between the founding fathers and Death himself.  There must always be a Graveminder and an Undertaker to keep the dead in their place.  

This felt like a very cursory telling of a tale.  I'm not sure what more I wanted, but it felt like something was missing.  If Marr were to write more of the character's stories, I would probably stop back into Claysville. I'm just not really sure how much you can do with the limited subject matter.  

No comments: