Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Lights, Camera... Travel

Lights, Camera... Travel!  edited by Andrew McCarthy

A variety of show business people ranging from household names to people who helped bring you movies, but you've probably never heard of tell their stories of adventures around the world.  This is a series and none of the names listed on the cover to the left here wrote stories in the edition that I read.  I just noticed that as I was typing this.

Some of the stories were definitely interesting, or exciting, or gave you a glimpse into exotic locations.  Others went nowhere. Not everyone who has a story to tell can tell it in a way that will keep the reader on the edge of their seat.  In fact, the majority of the stories were not terribly interesting at all.  I was pretty disappointed with the majority of the stories.

I was looking to travel vicariously through storytellers who traveled the world and had real wisdom and beauty and adventure to share.  Rarely, while reading this book did I feel remotely excited by the situations and locations depicted here.  

If you like travel stories and want to get them from the people responsible for bringing you movies and television shows, you may find something here that moves you.  As I type this, I can't help but think that I'd much rather read stories by the celebrities listed on the cover there.  I may have gotten the dud edition in this series.

No comments: