Friday, February 07, 2014

It's Time For More Link Love

It's that time again.  Time to share the links and I've been collecting them like crazy.   Then I pass the savings on to you.  No, that's from some stupid television commercial. Forget I said that.  Let's just move on to the links, shall we?


  • Flavorwire has links to 10 Gothic Short Stories you Can Read Right now in celebration of Edgar Allen Poe's January 19th birthday.
  • This link from Splitsider I actually found on Jenny Lawson's  (The Bloggess) blog.  If they can include Let's Pretend This Never Happened in their list of 57 Books Every Comedy Fan Should Read, they are okay with me.
  • Here's the Style Blueprint's list of their Favorite Reads from 2013
  • Also at Flavorwire, this post on 25 Big Novels That are Worth Your Time.  They include Proust's monster In Search of Lost Time, but also include quite a few that come in under 600 pages.  I'm patting myself on the back for Ulysses, Tree of Smoke and Middlemarch.  And, I'll definitely be looking into the Jennifer Egan book. I loved A Visit From the Goon Squad.
  • Back in November of 2012 there was this article on 10 Novels to Replace Catcher in the Rye as the Perfect Teen Book.  I know there will always be debate as to whether or not Catcher ever was the perfect teen book.   I think, the last one on this list is a perfect choice.  King Dork was amazing. But, then Black Hole was pretty good, and Special Topics in Calamity Physics was one of the best books I've ever read.  I think John Green's books should be considered when discussing a list like this.  His Looking for Alaska was like a modern A Separate Peace. Then, you have Curtis Sittenfeld's Prep that could be considered possibilities here.
  • You have got to see how cute this is.  It's Bookworm Gardens, where you can see what it is like to live under the name Mr. Sanders.  That's a Winnie the Pooh reference. You knew that already, didn't you?  
  • Would you be interested in reading the other side of the story, if it was the monster's side?  In the same vein as Grendel, Book Riot gives their 5 of 10 Monster Memoirs We Want to Read.  They include a link to the other 5, which you can find by clicking through here. I think my favorites are The Smoke Monster from Lost, because Lost. Medusa and the Jersey Devil.  As a Jersey girl, I find we just don't get to have our say as much as we should.
  • Here's an oldie, but a goodie from Flavorwire.  It's The Seven Deadly Sins in Literature.  Of  course, it seems to me that the worst form of lust is the despicable nature of Humbert Humbert in Lolita.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard people talk about this book and actually say that Dolores led him on.  She was 10, for Pete's sake!
  • Buzz Feed Books has this great post of 16 Audiobooks Read by A-List Actors.  As it turns out, my local library doesn't have any of these.  I would even listen to books I've read over and over, if they were read to me by any of these actors!!!
  • How many of Buzz Feed Books' 21 Best YA Books of 2013 have you read?  The two Rainbow Rowell books are wonderful.  I'm not a fan of Cassandra Clare, although I did read all of those insufferable Mortal Instruments books.   I will be reading the Elizabeth Wein, Rose Under Fire. I absolutely loved Code Name Verity and Rose  made it into this year's Battle of the Kids' Books.  I've only read a handful of the books.  There are a few I wouldn't even consider (I didn't like Cinder at all, so Scarlet is just not at all on my radar) and there are a few that I am really looking forward to reading.
  • Have you seen the Lisa Simpson Book Club Tumblr?   
  • Are these the Top 10 Funniest Novels Ever Written? I couldn't tell you for sure.  I can tell you that Christoper Moore's Lamb is one of my favorite books. I even own the special edition bound in bible leather.   I also truly love and have read and reread The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the other 5 books in the trilogy and Douglas Adams was an absolute genius!
  • The New Yorker published this post on Literary Feuds of 2013.  I don't get what all the fuss is about Buzz Feed Books and its stance on only publishing positive book reviews.  I totally agree with the sentiment that life is too short to bitch, moan and whine.  
  • Have a lot of time on your hands?  How about checking out Buzz Feed Books' 1088 Reasons You Should Read Infinite Jest.  Actually, the list is only 20 items long. So, you don't need that much time after all.  You'll need much time to read all 1088 pages of the book, though.
So, that's it for me for today.  Happy Clicking!

No comments: