Monday, February 24, 2014

Walk Two Moons

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

I don't know if there is an audiobook challenge, but I'd be so winning it, if there were.  My local library, on top of offering audiobooks on cd, they also offer free access to two other audiobook websites, which are wonderful. I've got a book playing in my car at all times (right now, I'm listening to J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy and I've got Kate Atkinson's Life After LIfe  and Elizabeth Wein's Rose Under Fire in my car to follow it up.  On the phone I'm listening to The Golem and the Jinni and have Tina Fey's Bossypants to download as soon as it's through). The selection is amazing and I've been doing far more listening than reading.

Walk Two Moons is the story of Salamanca (Sal) Tree Hiddle, and her search for her mother.  Sal's mom went away and never came home.  After she's been gone for quite a while, her father rents out their farm and moves to a small town.  Sal, with the help of her new friends and school mates settles into life away from the farm.  Then Sal's grandparents come to town and take Sal to see her mother. As the group makes their way through the midwest, Sal is asked to tell a story.  She tells the story of her friend Phoebe Winterbottom and the lunatic.  

The story unfolds as we learn how Sal came to moved from her beloved farm to the suburbs, started at a new school and made some new friends.  Creech manages to mesh the story of Sal's mother with the disappearance of Phoebe's mother and how the two girls deal with both. It's a story of friendship and family, love and loss.  Sal is a wonderful character and Walk Two Moons is an amusing and engrossing story.

No comments: