Friday, August 11, 2006

It's Riddle day! Oh, yippee.


I heard this riddle the other day and thought I would share it with my adoring public (so kidding about that last part). I'm pretty sure if pressed to come up with a riddle of my own, it would be somewhat akin to Bilbo's in The Hobbit, you know, where he asks, "What's in my pocket?" and then it was really just him talking to himself anyway. But, lucky for you, I did not come up with this riddle.

Here goes:

You are in a two story building. On the first floor are three light switches. On the second floor are three lights. The switches operate lights on the second floor. How do you figure out which switch works which lights? You can not see the lights from the first floor and you can only go upstairs one time.

Answer will be posted in comments.

-For the record, my solution was to call an electrician from downstairs and have him put the switches for the upstairs lights, upstairs where they belong (leaving one to see going up, if necessary) and then go upstairs to show the electrician what lights you are talking about. I was told I was wrong, but it sounded like a pretty good idea to me.

1 comment:

JoanneMarie Faust said...

Answer: Turn on two light switches. Wait a few minutes and turn one of the two off. Then you make your one trip upstairs. The one that is lit works with the switch in the on position. Then feel the bulbs. The cold bulb goes to the switch that you never turned on and the warm bulb goes to the switch you turned on and then turned off again.