Tuesday, February 06, 2007

#4. The Eben Street Girls



100 Things about Piksea #4

I still see my girlfriends from college semi-regularly. We still don't use our real names, to the point that it's difficult to do it on the odd occasion we deem it necessary. Although our nicknames evolved over time, we still use and answer to them. HH needs me to use the real names and nicknames, just so he can figure out who the hell I'm talking about. My mother never needed me to translate for her. I use the nicknames, she knows exactly who I am talking about, but she always uses the proper given names.

We have an annual summer get together. We used to have it early summer in Wildwood. At the reunion weekend, we played the traditional Saturday night game of "chandeliers" quarters. In chandeliers you have one glass for each person and one in the center. If the quarter goes into an individual's cut, they drink, if it goes into the center cup, everyone drinks, and the last person finished has to drink the middle cup. When a person gets a quarter into any cup(s) five times in a row, that person gets to make up a rule, usually fairly ridiculous and hart to follow, especially after all that drinking. If you break a rule, you drink. Rules generally include no cursing, no saying the word "drink," etc.

In our group someone would inevitably institute a rule where we couldn't use nicknames, but had to use our real names. This was followed by an introduction by our real names, and then a complete inability to follow the rule. Old habits die hard and the booze doesn't do much to help.

With my college pals I have accumulated some of the silliest, craziest, funniest and most exciting adventures, anecdotes and memories in the years we've been friends. I think there's a permanent bond between people like us. I mean, we've known each other for longer than we haven't known one another. I can't imagine how much I would've missed out on if it weren't for having Buzbee, Nasty Girl, Monko, Chauncey, Swabby, Zoid and P-Noid in my life. Hmm, come to think of it, this is about the time that someone usually schedules the Hussy Convention, which is generally dinner, drinks , a lot of laughs and a sleepover.

No comments: