Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday Book links 3/22/13

Lots of new and interesting things to tell about the book world today. Even poorly drawn mermaids are interested!
  • Over at Powell's, the Daily Dose book is Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman.  I've never heard of this one, but it definitely sounds interesting.  
  • It's the final match up in the quarter finals for the Tournament of Books. Today How Should a Person Be?  has knocked Bring Up the Bodies.  I've got How Should a Person Be? in my library bag right now. I guess I better get reading.
  • Of course, we need to check in with the School Library Journal's Battle of the Kids' Books.  Round 2, Match 1 pits Bomb against Code Name Verity. Two World War II books, with Bomb coming out ahead. 
  • It's Free Friday over at Barnes and Noble.  All of you nook owners should be checking in for today's freebie books and apps.  Today's official free book is Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal. I say official because the comments are always filled with loads of other free books to choose from.  With my boss thinking retirement, I've been stocking up on free and amazingly low priced business books through the free Friday selections at the nook blog and the nook daily deals.  Oh, and today's free app is Puss in Boots- Fruit Ninja.  
  • We've also got the latest installment of the Unshelved Book Club.  Check out the titles and reviews each week.  I am a huge lover of everything they do over there.
  • Click on over to Measure of Doubt.  They've put together a reading list/bookshelf for each of the houses in the Harry Potter series.
  • In sad news today, Chinua Achebe is dead.  He wrote the amazing Things Fall Apart.  

No comments: