Friday, June 28, 2013

English Language Changes

We notice our language changing all the time. But that tends to be the big ways.  Although the majority of people in my life use complete words and sentences when they text, it really hit home just how much the new texting English had infiltrated our world when my niece spelled "tomorrow" on a school spelling test as "2moro".  But, she was also known to do all that adding of letters that is somehow considered to be text short hand.  Mickey's 28 year old son can not write the word "me" without at least two or three extra e's.  That, I interpret as part of a raging case of narcissism.  It's all, "What about meeeeeeeee?"

I stumbled across this article at Mental Floss, 4 Changes to English So Subtle We Hardly Know They Are Happening..  The author Arika Okrent points out that this isn't the first time it happened. Which, ostensibly means it won't be the last.  I, for one am totally okay with the modernization that took us from Middle English.  I still have a poem memorized in Middle English, and if it weren't for the fact that I was taught that it roughly translates to something like the Lord's Prayer, I'd have no idea what I was saying.  I can imagine middle aged, Middle English speaker's shaking their heads over 'those crazy kids" who were screwing around with their language.  And, now, I'm picturing them yelling to get off their lawns. 

For the record, considering the abuse of the past perfect tense among ignorant/ignorant sounding persons, I'm all about phasing that right on out of our language.

No comments: