Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pop Culture Literary Links

Last week the awesome folks at Flavorwire published  this article in their Must Read Books series about Pop Music-Politics-Revolution.  Ahhh, I always loved my inner Rrrriot girl.

Plus, they're talking about an East Coast-West Coast Literary War.  Who could have seen that coming?  Because you know all the bluestockings are kind of gangsta, right?

If you doubt that, check out Book Riot's Nothin' But a Lit Thang, Baby, introducing us to Rap Genius, which you should check out immediately.  Up on the site now, is this excerpt of one of the greatest books written in the last decade, the Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

I'm not sure how I missed this January 30, article on 10 Of The Most Twisted Short Stories About Love. I can tell you that I'll be catching up with this and checking out these tales, well the ones I haven't already read.  I loved the Sedaris book and St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves was really really good.

If you aren't following the book clubs and the blog at Barnes and Noble, I'm not sure what you are waiting for.  If you own a nook, or have a nook app installed on your computer or any device, you should be checking them out every Friday for their free book and app links and the comments, filled with extra freebies.  I almost have as many books on my nook at this moment, as I have on shelves in my house.  They've got a blog post on Guilty Pleasure Reads and How to Hide Them, which I really really hope was written with tongue firmly in cheek.  While you are there, click around, because the scope of their articles is wide and you are sure to find something interesting.

Buzzfeed is talking about the 14 Books to Read Before they Hit the Big Screen.  Feeling a little superior here, since I've read 9 of them.  There are a number of these that I'm really going to want to see.  Is Shailene Woodley so great that she should be showing up everywhere these days?  

Keeping in the Pop Culture vein, here's Flavorwire's  article in their ongoing Required Reading series. Here's one for Schmidt from Fox's The New Girl.  They've also got one for The Bling Ring.  How about one for Ron Swanson of NBC's Parks and Recreation?  I think my personal favorite is this one, with book suggestions for the entire Bluth family of Arrested Development.
Mad Men's Don Draper's list is filled with steamy choices for the advertising executive playboy that he is.

That's it for the moment.  Happy clicking!

No comments: