Saturday, September 28, 2013

Book Links Old and New

 It's been a while since my last links post and I've been accruing links like nobody's business.  So, without further ado, I'm going to share the link love with you.

  • I've heard of librarians who take pictures of their patrons reading banned/challenged books and posting them as a rogues' gallery of mug shots.  Over at Flavorwire they've got a selection of mug shots that are the characters in banned books.    
  • Ladies, if you are looking for a man to give a piece of your mind, here are some seriously misogynistic quotes from some pretty famous male authors, all of whom are sorely lacking a good piece of mind.
  • While I think the "everyone" is this article is hyperbole, here's an interesting piece from Flavorwire entitled, 10 Bizarre Literary Landmarks Everyone Should Visit.
  • In the ever flexible meme of what your favorite _____ says about you, Bookish submits their version in their article, What Your Favorite Omniscient Narrator Says About You. I'm kind of in love with the Atlas Shrugged one.  "You need to just. Calm. Down."
  • On the NPR website, on the Monkey See page, there's this article about True Love, Book Fights and  Why Ugly Stories Matter. Apparently, there's been quite a bit of hub bub in Minnesota over Rainbow Rowell's very wonderful book Eleanor and Park.  Of course, they drag out the obscene thing, which is absolutely ludicrous.  On the one hand, I know that this book deserves so muich better than to be falsely accused and dragged through the mud as something that it isn't. On the other hand, all those Judy Blume books that got us into and through adolescence are way up there on the frequently banned and challenged lists. Also, controversy has been known to fuel sales. In this case, I hope there are plenty of open minded, or even rebellious and subversive teens run out and get this book.  
  • Harper's Bazaar posted on the best Austen movies.  Other than Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma. I concur completely.  Emma is my least favorite Jane Austen work, and Paltrow illustrated why I dislike the character perfectly.  For me, Emma is and always should be Clueless.  
  • Who doesn't like a little literary eye candy?  And, no I'm not talking about Mr. Darcy in the wet ruffly shirt, climbing out of the lake (sigh). At least, I didn't mean to be.  Flavorwire posted these photos of the windows of 30 bookstores.  I don't know about you, but I have a very hard time passing a bookstore window and not going in.
  • This list of the 50 Books Every Parent Should Read to Their Child has me making lists of the parents and children I'd like to give a copy of each... and one for myself... of the ones I don't already have.  My copy of Where the Wild Things Are sits on the bookshelf in my spare bedroom. I still pull it out and reread it, whenever I spend any time in there.
  • This article about 10 Impressive Uses of Borrowed  Characters in Literature from Flavorwire struck me, primarily because I'm just finishing up a read along of Jane Eyre as part of Septemb-Eyre. The first book on the list is Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea.  Rhys combined the unrest in her native islands and the back story for Bertha Rochester, the madwoman in the attic that almost ruined all of lovely little Jane Eyre's hopes.
  • What is it about Catcher in the Rye  and its protagonist, Holden Caufield that gets people so worked up?  I've posted before about the book and some wonderful literary criticism by one of the books biggest supporters, the filled with awesome, John Green.  James Altucher at Flavorwire is in the haters camp.  He's come up with 12 Coming of Age Novels That Are Better Than Catcher in the Rye.  Either this is food for thought, or them's fightin' words, depending on where you fall on the battle lines. I'll totally give him a pass, just for his inclusion of the amazing Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.
  • The Washington Post Lifestyle section has so many awesome book articles that you may want to stick around there and get in some fruitful clicking.  I really enjoyed this graphic article from Lynda Barry of The 20 Stages of Reading.
  • If you've been following all the lists of great books for fall, you must be noticing the repeats on everyone's lists.  Here's KQED's arts post on the Fall Literary Look Ahead.  It looks like we'll have plenty to keep us entertained as the nights grow longer and colder.
  • So, Fashion Week is over around the world, but that doesn't keep me from checking out the looks.  Buzz Feed has this post 10 Outfits from YA Fiction You Wish You Owned.  I think I'd pass on all of them. Now, I'm going to have to think about what literary characters have wardrobes or styles that I covet.
  • I'll finish up today with some swoon worthy home libraries as seen at the blog, A Perfect Gray.  
That's it for today, let me know if you find any great links or articles on books and the book world.

No comments: