Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Keep on Clickin': More Links I Love

 Sorry, Guiltless Reader, but I'm back with more book lists, links, articles and thoughts.  As I've said time and again, I am a sucker for all book related news, stories and pictures.  I can't help myself. So, here are some of my recently collected links that I wanted to share with you.

  • October 8 was R.L. Stine's 70th birthday.  I used to know a little boy who was obsessed with Goosebumps. He was a couple years younger than my nephew, who wanted nothing to do with anything he thought might be 'pooky.  Kevin Pires at Flavorwire shares his thoughts on Stine's 10 best books.
  • Becky Cole of Book Riot compares Potential Husbands from YA Fantasy Books.  Hooray for her awesome inclusion of Neville Longbottom.  I read the Harry Potter series a few times (don't ask) and, of course, watched all of the movies.  As the actors in the movies grew and changed, I really really wanted Neville to grow up handsome, the character, and the actor who played him (they kind of morph in this particular scenario). I had a conversation with some fellow Potter fans and while they saw my point, they were afraid it just wasn't in the cards.  The next day I found photos of Matthew Lewis, the actor who plays Neville Longbottom looking very much like a younger, possibly even handsomer Clive Owen.  That was a sweet victory!
  • In the same vein, Buzz Feed posted this article in their sweet new books category of 21 Totally Crush Worthy Literary Characters. Any of them strike your fancy? Scroll to the bottom, because the final sentiment in this list is probably every reader's dream.  
  • Here are 8 Fantastic Crime Novels that Became Great Films as determined by Emily Temple at Flavor Wire.  I recently read The Maltese Falcon, so I should really watch the film version.  Actually, I listened to an audio performance of it from the BBC, without realizing when I picked it up that that's what it was.  Still, it was very well done.
  • They really love those GIFs at Buzz Feed.  Click over here for a GIF filled list for their article 12 Signs You're Really Into Your Book. It's worth your time to see the cute moving pictures and nod your head as you recognize all the things on this list you are truly guilty of doing.
  • Doesn't it just drive you crazy when people make up words?  Another GIF filled posting at Buzz Feed showcases 17 Misused and Made Up Words that Make You Rage.  There are plenty that they miss, but this is a pretty good start.
  • While this Book Riot article is titled Five Books to Watch Out For in October, it's really filled with so many more.  Seriously, A.S. King and Donna Tartt and Dave Eggers, oh my!
  • Back at Buzz Feed Books they've posted this great article on Girl Power books and authors.  I'm a huge fan of girl power, where ever I find it.  Stop by and check out their 10 Fantasy Authors Who Fight the Patriarchy, Gender-Stereotypes, and Possibly Dragons.  Read the comments for more thoughts on the included authors and a couple additions to the list.
  • I know. I know.  Banned Books Week is over, but I celebrate banned books every day, reading them and recommending the good ones with a rebellious fervor.  Buzz Feed Book has a post with quotes from authors on censorship that are so wonderful. As if I needed any more reasons to love Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury and Judy Blume.  If I did needlepoint, my world would be filled with them as samplers on pillows and walls everywhere!
  • A Buzz Feed user, Kirk Damato wrote this post:  Daily Reminder:  Reading is Awesome.  Do you remember the Scholastic Books catalog?  In elementary school the teacher passed them out. I circled every book that I didn't already own and handed it back to her, promptly forgetting about it. That is, until the books came in and I had to bring an envelope home to my mom, telling her how much money we owed for my order. The order she had no idea that I'd placed. 
  • Flavor Wire's Emily Temple posted this article on 10 Notorious Literary Slogs That are Worth the Effort.  The article isn't very recent, but the list is one for the ages.
  • I'll end with photos of 11 Ingenious Bookshelves Made From Unusual Repurposed Items as found on Flavor Wire.  There are no bad ideas when it comes to decorative book storage!
That's it for the moment, but I'll be back with more. I've hardly made a dent in the link collection.



No comments: